Where do Brown/Black IPAs fall???

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by BrewSauce, Apr 24, 2012.

1. BrewSauce

BrewSauce Brewer of the Sauce

I was just curious about this.

For example, both Improv by Cigar City and Hop Karma by Terrapin are listed as Oatmeal Rye India and Brown IPA respectively. I would like to say this would fall more under IPA than Dark ales or am I completely wrong?

Either way both of the aforementioned brews are pretty good. If you have not had a chance to try em you should give them a shot.

2. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

Technically they dont fall into any true BJCP cat. that I am aware of....It would most likely be judged as an IPA and be dinged for appearance (no big deal only 3 points) or it could be entered into a Misc. cat....

3. Frobrew

Frobrew Pretty Awesome User

Well in the case of New Glarus Black Top, or Lakefront IBA they fall right down my gullet and into the belly. Wish I had a good recipe to clone Lakefront.

blacklabel is right though, they can't qualify for truly being in style because of color. That's kind of the beauty of the craft/micro breweries and especially homebrewing is we don't have to follow traditional rules.

4. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

Amen to that...No reinheitsgebot here! :D

5. BrewSauce

BrewSauce Brewer of the Sauce

I was actually meaning more along the lines of what sub thread in this forum lol...dark ale or pale ale...sorry for the confusion

6. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

ohh no worries....I'd put it under IPA....

7. TheFlyingBeer

TheFlyingBeer New Member

You sir are in luck then as NB has this recipe for both AG and extract:
    Lakefront Brewery IBA Pro Series

I have mine in the secondary right now, should be dry hopping it in a week or so.

8. navman

navman New Member

I'd like to see more of these from the microbrews. Trout River Brewery in Vermont came out with one called Northern Brown, real good.

9. Vandeervecken

Vandeervecken New Member

This is in fact what I love most about home brewing and microbreweries. Some are terrible, some are magnificent, the search is always fun.

10. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

terrapin has a brwon IPA called HOP KARMA! I am bottling what I hope is a good clone of it this weekend.

11. Atonofhops

Atonofhops New Member

for bjcp it falls under experimental catagory

12. BenjiRockwell

BenjiRockwell New Member

Croucher Brewing Company's 'Patriot' is described as a 'black IPA' - it's the first beer of that style (which seems to be getting more common) that I tried, and it was stunning.

I lump them in with IPAs, really, since despite their appearance, that's the style of beer they have the most similarities with.

13. Atonofhops

Atonofhops New Member

there are several comercial black ipa's out there and they are getting very popular too.

14. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

My Hop Karma Clone....It's pretty damn tasty!
    [​IMG]

15. georgewerr

georgewerr New Member

If your talking Brooklyn brown then down the sick it goes

16. grimm5577

grimm5577 New Member

I really like stones Sublimely Self Righteous Ale (AKA a Black IPA) and as far as i know it does follow the Reinheitsgebot by using Dehusked Carafa III for color.

17. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

If your a brewer I have a good recipe for a black IPA with citra hops!! Damn tasty!

18. grimm5577

grimm5577 New Member

I am, and that sounds really good, carbing an apricot citra ipa now.

19. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

ohh interesting!!!!