What consiututes a light/amber ale?

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by funetical, Apr 12, 2012.

1. funetical

funetical New Member

I'm a little confused on this one.

Is it like an Amstel?

2. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

Here is the definition off Beer Advocate...

Primarily a catch all for any beer less than a Dark Ale in color, ranging from amber (duh) to deep red hues. This style of beer tends to focus on the malts, but hop character can range from low to high. Expect a balanced beer, with toasted malt characters and a light fruitiness in most examples. The range can run from a basic ale, to American brewers who brew faux-Oktoberfest style beers that are actually ales instead of lagers.

3. The Stauff

The Stauff Super Moderator

A faux-Oktoberfest sounds kind of interesting actually!

4. Wayne1

Wayne1 New Member

BJCP guidelines for Light Hybrid include Cream Ale, Blonde Ale, Kolsch, and American Wheat & Rye.

Commercial Examples: Genesee Cream Ale, Little Kings Cream Ale (Hudepohl), Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema, Sleeman Cream Ale, New Glarus Spotted Cow, Wisconsin Brewing Whitetail Cream Ale.

Commercial Examples: Pelican Kiwanda Cream Ale, Russian River Aud Blonde, Rogue Oregon Golden Ale, Widmer Blonde Ale, Fuller’s Summer Ale, Hollywood Blonde, Redhook Blonde

Commercial Examples: Available in Cologne only: PJ Früh, Hellers, Malzmühle, Paeffgen, Sion, Peters, Dom; import versions available in parts of North America: Reissdorf, Gaffel; Non-German versions: Eisenbahn Dourada, Goose Island Summertime, Alaska Summer Ale, Harpoon Summer Beer, New Holland Lucid, Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower, Capitol City Capitol Kölsch, Shiner Kölsch.

Commercial Examples: Bell’s Oberon, Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen, Three Floyds Gumballhead, Pyramid Hefe-Weizen, Widmer Hefeweizen, Sierra Nevada Unfiltered Wheat Beer, Anchor Summer Beer, Redhook Sunrye, Real Ale Full Moon Pale Rye.

Amber Hybrid is Northern German Altbier, California Common, and Dussledorf Altbier.

Commercial Examples: DAB Traditional, Hannen Alt, Schwelmer Alt, Grolsch Amber, Alaskan Amber, Long Trail Ale, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Schmaltz’ Alt.

Commercial Examples: Anchor Steam, Southampton Steem Beer, Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager.

Commercial Examples: Altstadt brewpubs: Zum Uerige, Im Füchschen, Schumacher, Zum Schlüssel; other examples: Diebels Alt, Schlösser Alt, Frankenheim Alt

5. TxBrew

TxBrew Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing the info.

6. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

Exactly what I was going to post!

7. BrewSauce

BrewSauce Brewer of the Sauce

I was pulling it up on one monitor until I scrolled down. Its kinda interesting to see familiar names on there that I wouldnt have considered a hybrid previous.

8. BrewSauce

BrewSauce Brewer of the Sauce

I actually had the Anderson Valley Summer Solstice in order to get the Anderson valley badge in untappd and I remembered not liking it and either something is different or my taste buds changed cause it was actually quite nice.

9. Ed.A

Ed.A Active Member

Funny still, not one on the list that I know do I like...except the Widmers Blonde. Not really an endorsment of the style aye?

10. bubbypoppy

bubbypoppy New Member

My son brought this to me from lithuania

ForumRunner_20120827_023848.jpg

11. The Stauff

The Stauff Super Moderator

How was it?

12. bubbypoppy

bubbypoppy New Member

A little light for my taste but not bad reminded me of a hoppy pale ale