Triple Bock vs. Utopias

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by TxBrew, Apr 11, 2012.

1. TxBrew

TxBrew Administrator Staff Member

I had the pleasure of scoring a Triple Bock years ago from a friend who worked a local beer store.

Is the Utopias similar in taste to the Triple Bock?

2. Pakmule

Pakmule New Member

No Utopias is actually good.

3. Pumpkinman906

Pumpkinman906 New Member

I dunno about that...I've had Utopias and it certainly didn't taste like any beer I could enjoy...was more on the lines of cognac.
    To each his own though...

4. Pakmule

Pakmule New Member

I agree it is moe like a cognac or a sipping rum. The Triple Bock tasted like bad prune juice. I still have three bottles of the 1995 Triple Bock.

5. the_Bird

the_Bird New Member

Completely different beers. Utopias is very sweet, the vintage that I had were dominated to a large extend by maple. Very good, definitely a sipper. Lot of complexity. Truly a world-class beer.... although I have to say, I've had homebrewed "clones" that people have made that have dried out much further and are far superior.

Triple Bock is one of the worst beers I've ever had the misfortune to sample (thank god I didn't buy it). Oyster sauce. Just... not good at all. More of a 'dumper' than a sipper!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. TxBrew

TxBrew Administrator Staff Member

I thought Triple Bock had promise but wasn't executed well so got me curious about Utopias.

Pakmule; do have a plan to drink once aged X amount of years? Maybe it's a beer that shows more complexity on a long term aging plan.