Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by DavidIsABeerSnob, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DavidIsABeerSnob

DavidIsABeerSnob New Member

Let's talk about how delicious a good IPA is. The more hops the better... Can you just put hops into a bottle and serve it to me that way. MmMmMmmmmm!
  2. krinker101

krinker101 niloc

My favorite

I have become a total hop head! The most popular beers I drink now are IPAs. My love for IPAs started some where around freshman and sophomore year of college. A buddy of mine who was 21 would go to the store at least once a week and pick up a big bottle, a six pack or 4 pack of some IPA and we would share it. During this time I tried Brooklyn EIPA, Stone Ruination IPA and IPA, Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute IPAs, Long Trail IPA, and many more. I have gone back to my love of IPAs recently and have brewed a few of my own delicious:) I am currently on a quest to try all the IPA's that I can find if you got any to suggest I would love to hear them.
  3. DavidIsABeerSnob

You've covered the best ones (Dogfish Head, Stone)

A few favorites of mine beyond that list:
    Lagunitas IPA
    Lagunitas A little sumpin sumpin (HIGHLY recommended)
    Red Hook Long Hammer IPA
    Ranger IPA

Check out my album on Facebook :
    And my website:

Oh, and im getting ready to start my first IPA at home... More cascade hops than I can carry! HA
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. eddieg

eddieg Mug Club Member

I am a huge fan of Hopslam (if you have access to Bell's products), Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Mad Hatter (New Holland Brewing) and my go-to beverage, Goose Island IPA.
  5. cvitanza3

cvitanza3 New Member

I had Lancaster Hop Hog and Yards IPA. I prefer Lancaster over Yards because its smoother than Yards. Yards to me was very bitter and citrusy.
  6. Doppelbock_Effect

Doppelbock_Effect New Member

There are a ton of great IPAs out there right now, so these are just a few of my favorites.

The best IPA I have had in a while is Hop Henge (E)IPA from Deschutes. It is very good and easy to drink as far as IPAs go. I am about to try Hoptimum 2012 from Sierra Nevada which I have been looking forward too. Another one of my favorites is Unearthly from Southern Tier. (Sorry for all the Imperials here, haha).

Non-imperials: O'Fallon's 5 Day IPA and Goose Island's IPA are two of my favorites.
  7. DavidIsABeerSnob

Texas has the TABC that keeps a handful of great beers out of the state. When I travel to CO later this year, I'll have to pick up a good amount of craft beer.
  8. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

+1 Hopslam is my go to IPA, I just wish it were more readily available.
  9. DavidIsABeerSnob

Ill have to track this one down...
  10. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

It's my favorite IPA, only downside is it's a winter seasonal so actually getting to have some is truly special.

Attached Files:

11. benonbeer

benonbeer New Member

New Belgium Ranger IPA converted me to IPAs. Since then I compare all IPAs against the Ranger. In fact, I'm considering petitioning New Belgium to create a candle that smells like it.

My faves are:
    Ranger IPA (Fort Collins, CO)
    Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA (Boston)
    Terrapin Hopsecutioner IPA (Athens, GA)
    Terrapin Hopzilla (Double IPA) (Athens, GA)
    and, when it's fresh, Sweetwater IPA (Atlanta, GA)
  12. brewfun

brewfun New Member

People like what they like, which is cool.

Hop loving is the second tier of beer appreciation, in my experience. The first is richer, malt oriented and slightly alcoholic beer.

IPAs are not really a style, anymore. That is, modern versions have nothing to do with India, or even pale, for that matter.

IPA is essentially a marketing term, being applied to almost any beer and indicates slightly to obviously more hop oriented. How else would you explain "IPA Witbier," being marketed?

Sometimes, the fascination with hops seems like the fascination between a teenager and his dick.

I can't make and sell a traditional Pale Ale, anymore. I have stepped it up, so that my Pale Ale is an IPA at 70 IBUs. My IPA is nearly 8% abv and sports about 90 IBU (Basically DIPA). My Double IPA is saturated at about 4 lbs of hops per barrel. This is what the public demands and I'm fine with delivering it.

I'm not bashing the evolution of beer styles, just the change of meaning in what IPA really is. These days it seems to be "Improves Profit Automatically."
  13. DavidIsABeerSnob

Well hello Buzz Killington.

Im not sure I understand the analogy of "hops fascination." Like you said, people like what they like... So how is someones preference for hoppy beers "adolescent" (which is what I take your analogy as). Im not trying to be argumentative or rude, just trying to understand your thought process on the tiers of beer appreciation.

For example, I cant stand Belgium style beer and I think Guinness is a tasteless liquid, does that mean I dont appreciate beer or that my taste just differ from the other beer drinkers?
  14. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

My tastes change constantly. I do enjoy and appreciate a balanced IPA. It seems some I have tried are just trying to see how many IBU's they can get out of a batch without balancing out the malt profile. Recently my tastes have change to maltier beers, Belgians to be exact, but I'm sure it will go back to high IBU IPA's in the future.
  15. brewfun

brewfun New Member

OK, I deserved that! :) I thought of that, as I was expressing my opinion.

Even with market share gains, Craft beer remains a small portion of the overall American Market. So, for most drinkers, tasting something with more flavor, alcohol and hops is a defining line in their beer appreciation.

There was a time when that line was more visual. For a very long time, the cloudiness of wheat beers was the go-to "different" beer. It was a badge beer, which started conversations.

With hops, the badge isn't visual, rather it is a flavor threshold experience, akin to hot-sauces. Getting to the most "bitter," hop aggressive and intense experience is the goal for many.

I have seen real joy expressed by hop lovers when someone else says it is too much for them. In other words, "This is something a lot of people can't handle." That doesn't make the beer any better, or the drinker any more sophisticated. It just creates a badge. Worse still is the mistaken impression that more hops = more alcohol. I think that shortchanges everyone involved; novice, experienced and even the brewers.

So, I get to the "adolescent" anology because I have noticed that the longer someone drinks and enjoys a diversity of craft beers, the more they tend to lean away from uber hoppy brands and towards balance.

That may not mean you'll come to like Belgians or Guinness. But, there may be a point where a plain 'ol English Bitter will be a refreshing experience.
  16. DavidIsABeerSnob

I can appreciate this^^^. Seems like the "snob" gene in some beer drinkers has alot to do with your analysis, which makes sense by the way... The "I like this super hoppy beer and you don't so I'm way more of a connoisseur than you."
  17. tifosichris

tifosichris New Member

- Hopslam
    - Double Trouble (one of my "go to's")
    - Mongo
    - Wipeout
    - Blind Pig
    - Two Hearted
    - Union Jack
    - Hopsecutioner (sp?)
    - Racer 5 (another "go to's")
    - Hoptimus Prime
    - Hop Stoopid
    - Little Sumpin Sumpin (and the extra)

I'll add more as i think of them

(East Coast)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  18. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

I'd have to say Stone's AB is my fav IPA....That beer is just malty enough, just hoppy enough, WOW so damn good!
  19. DavidIsABeerSnob

I had Hop Wallop the other night and loved it.
  20. Sladek

Sladek New Member

This is like a Black India Pale Ale...an oxymoron! It needs its own category maybe? I mean an "IPA" as all styles have guide lines to brew that "style" anything outside that within reason could still be considered an IPA (or whatever style) but when you push the limits far beyond the guidelines it is no longer an "IPA". The problem is...the normal well made IPA gets lost in the shuffle and the lines get so obscure that even judges might pass over a perfect IPA for a hop bomb that, while tasting great, is not really an IPA according to style and a great brew/brewer gets passed over for an "oddity" brew. Thats why beers like the BIPA and IPA hop bombs might need a special category, new name. Its kind of like making an authentic "old fashioned" cocktail the correct way and then bastardize it by making it with muddled oranges and cherries, topping if off with to much soda water but still call it an old fashioned! Not even close! I mean dont get me wrong I like a strong hoppy APA or IPA, but when its really something its not, its needs to be called something else. BIPA's are Hoppy Dark Ales, not IPA's, extreme IPA's need to be called strong ales or something else to preserve the "IPA" identity. Brewfun has some great points! And this statement: "I can't make and sell a traditional Pale Ale, anymore. I have stepped it up, so that my Pale Ale is an IPA at 70 IBUs." goes back to what I said about a beer style losing its TRUE identlty and thats not a good thing! If pale ales have to start being IPAs now, lets just use one category "IPA" and lump them all in and call it a day. my 2 cents