Favorite Hefeweizen

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by TxBrew, Apr 1, 2012.

1. TxBrew

TxBrew Administrator Staff Member

Paulaner tends to always stay at the top of my list, might be nostalgia but everytime I enjoy it, hits all the notes just right.
  2. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

Mine is Maisels Weisse, I love that stuff!

Attached Files:

3. chode1

chode1 New Member

So many wheats taste alike, but I have to say Schlafly's Yakima Wheat from right here in St. Louie took me by surprise. It's dry-hopped with magnum hops. Delicious!
  4. LabattZ

LabattZ DrunknCanuck

Hacker-Pschorr Hefeweisse

Attached Files:

5. DavidIsABeerSnob

DavidIsABeerSnob New Member

I've tried so hard to like Hefeweizens, but I just can't get into them...
  6. DoubleAught

DoubleAught New Member

That is a very good one as well. I haven't had one in years though, not since I live in Germany.
  7. logan

logan New Member

Dancing Man Wheat. Hacker-Pschorr is pretty good though and I have heard good things about Kellerweis.
  8. 2puttbird

2puttbird New Member

You guys are waaaaaayyyy out of my league ... I really like wheats / hefeweizens, but I don't even know how to pick a favorite because I enjoy the large number of varieties out there. So I'll be watching this thread to get some ideas for more beers to try!
  9. garywebb96

garywebb96 New Member

My favorite is the swill we make. It's a recipe from the LBS. A simple all-grain American Wheat recipe we jazzed up a little.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  10. Ed.A

Ed.A Active Member

11. Rantingfury

Rantingfury New Member

We're just seeing some wheat beers coming into the local shops here, Sam Adams cherry wheat, Lienie's sunset wheat and honey weiss, and a few other but nothing approaching a true hefeweizen. :(
  12. blacklabel

blacklabel New Member

Lienie's Sunset Wheat and Honey Weiss are 2 excellent brews I don't drink nearly enough!
  13. dannypo

dannypo New Member

Either Ayinger Brau Weiss or Weheinstephan hefewiezen.
  14. WillPrescott

WillPrescott New Member

Im a fan of Weheinstephen myself.
  15. arsenal610

arsenal610 The Beer Inspector

Same here. I also like Sierra Nevada's Hefewiezen and Frankziskaner Hefe-Weisse.

16. julioardz

julioardz New Member

I like hefeweizens enough to drink them, but overall I am not impressed with most of the imported and domestic ones I've tried, which include; Sierra Nevada, Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner, Paulaner, Shiner. I'm pretty sure there's been others. That being said, I love Live Oak Hefeweizen. It's one of my all time favorite beers. Maybe it's because hefes are meant to be consumed fresh and don't benefit from aging, that I prefer Live Oak. It's a local beer for me and more likely to be fresh. A bottled hefe that's had to travel half way around the world just doesn't do the style justice, in my opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. arsenal610

arsenal610 The Beer Inspector

This is slightly off topic, but does anybody know where I can get a hefeweizen glass for cheap online?
  18. julioardz

julioardz New Member

One glass:
    (looks more like a pilsner glass to me)

(more of a true hefeweizen glass)

Set of 12 glasses:

You may want to check a Garden Ridge if there is one near you, I've seen hefeweizen glasses with no logo sold there individually. Pay attention to the size of the glasses above. They are tall. I don't get these because they wouldn't fit in the cabinet where I keep my glasses. I drink all me beer in tulip/Irish pint glasses, which is the common Guinness style glass. I use to think it was a joke when people said glass shape made beer taste differently. Since I started using these over the regular pint glasses, I swear the beer I drink is better. Head retention and aroma seem better, or it's all just in my head. Either way, I think they're nicer glasses.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012