American Sours

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by Paymygasbill77, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Paymygasbill77

Paymygasbill77 New Member

I have yet to try an American Sour beer. What do you recommend?

I live in Pennsylvania so It is impossible for me to get the Russian River stuff.

2. ltcmurray

ltcmurray New Member

Try Bell's Oarsman, a light, refreshing session ale that has a nice light sourness to it - perfect for a summer day. Nothing striking or overwhelming.

New Holland Brewing just put out one called Blue Sunday. Deliciously sour but not quite on par with the big sours from RR and other West Coast.

3. dannypo

dannypo New Member

Anything from Jolly Pumpkin. If you just want it a bit funky try Bam Biere. If you want down right sour get Biere de Mars while it's still available.

4. Paymygasbill77

I dig the downright sour beers. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Javit

Javit Gueuze/Lambic/Saison

What part of PA? Philly area gets Russian River 'tion sours.

6. BoneBrew

BoneBrew New Member

I live in Philly and got Russian River Supplication in the 375ml bottle at South Philly Tap Room, (they probably have 8-10 different bottles from RR on hand at a time). It's was a $18 bottle, but I really wanted to try it. I'll try and source it else where for cheaper if I can find it. Supplication is really sour beer and I could the cherries through the sourness a little bit.

Highly suggest SPTR for good-great beer list and great food. Go during Happy Hour, you'll leave really happy.

7. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 New Member

Ithica puts out some good sours. Brute and LeBleu. There is also Allagash.

8. Paymygasbill77

I'm from Pittsburgh. We just can't get em out here.

9. Javit

Hey I'm from Pittsburgh too! But I live in MT now.

10. kbuzz

kbuzz New Member

oh contrare...I live in Pittsburgh and can get RR beers. Have to pay a little more, but it's worth it. Try House of 1,000 Beers in New Ken. They have a TON of stuff.

They get Jolly Pumpkin, RR and have a pretty spectacular array of Flemish/Belgian style sours

11. AvgWhiteGuy

AvgWhiteGuy @Beer_Fanatic

If you can get RRBC go for it. It's good. If you can get some Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa or Red Poppy you'd be doing yourself a favor.

12. Ed.A

Ed.A Active Member

+1 "There is also Allagash.
    Prolly the best American "Belgian" Brewers this side of the pond. Their Coolship is a sight to behold.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. skeezerpleezer

skeezerpleezer Super Moderator

Lost Abbey, the Bruery, and Upland are all breweries that make sours and there are a lot of others, but they may be hard to find as well. Goose Island has done some also. As far as bigger breweries or easier to find stuff goes, New Belgium has put out several-La Folie and La Terroir are fairly common. Kick (cranberry/pumpkin sour) was a seasonal this year and I don't know if they are redoing it or if it was a one time thing. Clutch was an imperial stout blended with 25% sour, and brewed with the band Clutch, so again I don't know if that will continue to be produced. They are also opening a new brewery in NC, so if you don't get their stuff now, you probably will after that.

14. Paymygasbill77

I have yet to go to house of 1000 beers. I live all the way in the South Hills. New Ken could be a nice weekend trip.

Thanks for the lead!

15. DeputyAndy

DeputyAndy New Member

+1s for RR, Lost Abbey, and The Bruery. I've found some Cascade bottles at bars/bottle shops and they are most excellent. I've seen a lot of Anchorage brewing coming around. They aren't traditional sours at all; they have a bretted double ipa, bretted tripel, bretted wit, it's almost like they have a brett outbreak. They are pretty good too.

Fenix Kriek in Selinsgrove is world class. if you are up that way you might as well go to Bullfrog too, they make some good sours. Anyone living anywhere in PA should really consider going to Philly Beer week. It is one of the best events in the brewing world you can go to. Lots of chances to meet the brewers and get rare offerings.

16. deco

deco New Member

If You are getting Russian River beers in Pittsburgh they are not there legally as far as I know.

17. Javit

They're legal. The labels are registered with the state, not the city. They'd have to be brought over by someone in he Philthadelphia area and he price is probably outrageous. RR chooses to send their beer to that market and nowhere else in the state.

18. Mcbobs

Mcbobs New Member

Try out Boulevard Brewing Co's Love Child. Moderately sour, but not super fruity. Very good beer overall.

19. skeezerpleezer

Love Child #2 just came out.

20. skeezerpleezer

Just scored 5 Love Child #2s.