Beer Forum - Beer, Brewpub, Brewery & Beer Industry Forums > General Beer Discussion > General Beer Discussion > long term beer storage

Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
shaff01

Default long term beer storage

What on you do in terms of storing a good beer long term? I am sure many of us would love to have a "beer cellar" but that my not be practical... What solutions have you come up with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
funetical

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't. In fact I've lost beer going in and out of the fridge due to space.

I know if you're not going to drink it right then and there and have to store it for a while a moderately cool place with not a lot of light works best. Like a wash room or utility room.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
BroncoBob

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have a closet located in the central part of our house, far away from outside walls that is our desiganted aging closet. We spend most of are time in the upstairs part of our home, so we keep the downstairs part at 68 degrees.
It has worked well over the years for beer aging. Currently aging a Belgian Tripple which seems to be best when aged at least 6 months.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
GrantH

I personally have 6 "shoe" shelves that hold about 24 bottles each that I keep mine in. it's close up an outside wall but completely dark.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
punkrockdave

Liked 130 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I have a nice closet underneath the stairs that works really well in theory. Beer never lasts that long around here.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
Shua

Parents have a big concrete garage closet that is 1/2 way underground which works great for storing/aging beer. Stays pretty constant temp year round ~55-65. I always call it my "beer cellar", currently has a few bottles of commercial brews and roughly 25 gallons of homebrew fermenting/aging in it.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
BeerChick
Beer Chick

I stored it in my linen closet, center of house, no light and cool... no longer a linen closet as the beer storage has taken over, now it is simply the "Beer Closet".

Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
dplittle
Beer Consigliere

When we built our house (which is on a pretty steep grade), I had the chance to design the basement. The room in the back that is completely underground is my beer cellar/fermentation room. I try to keep it as close to 60-65 deg F as possible. In it I have several Gorilla shelves full of my barleywine/Belgian/Imperial collection. There is also a fridge for chilling IPAs that aren't getting long-term storage. The next upgrade is to bring in a separate cooling/humidity control unit to keep it at peak condition.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
BrewSauce
Brewer of the Sauce

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I do my best, given the temps in FL, to keep only beers I know that will age decently well stored in a close in the coldest room. It sucks cause the temp is usually around 72 - 74 which is higher than normal but with that said I do intend to consume most of my beers over the next 2 -3 years or until I get find a solution to keep 30 - 40 bottles at around 55 - 60 degree sooon.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #10
bigkahunabrew

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a few Rubbermaid shelves in the basement. It's about 70 in the summer, 38 or so in the winter!
It is what it is, and it's why my cellar beers will be unique!

Quick Reply